Content Deployment Error: "The remote name could not be resolved:"

Monday, 11 February 2008 20:31 by RanjanBanerji

While attempting Content Deployment using SharePoint 2007 I kept getting the following error: The remote name could not be resolved: 'machine_name.Some.domain.com'.  The name of the machine was the machine that had the Central Admin of the destination of my Content Deployment.

I had never had this problem before.  The only difference between this and prior Content Deployments was that it was across domains and on SSL.  All I had was port 443 opened between my source CA and destination.

I then realized that on the source machines hosts file I had an entry to the CA of the destination machine.  So I figured lets make another entry for the machine name.  So my hosts file now had something like:

123.123.12.1   ca.Some.domain.com

123.123.12.1  machine_name.Some.domain.com

It solved the problem.

Tags:   ,
Categories:   SharePoint
Actions:   E-mail | Permalink | Comments (0) | Comment RSSRSS comment feed